Vacancy: Chair of the Board
Chair of the Board: Curating Cambridge Ltd
Location: Cambridge, UK
Remuneration: Pro bono 12-15 days per year (4 quarterly Board meetings + ad hoc engagement)
About Curating Cambridge:
Curating Cambridge specialises in managing a wide spectrum of commercial channels for the University of Cambridge and its collections including licensing for consumer products, retail operations, wholesale partnerships, and ecommerce ventures.
The company has significant growth potential as it has recently taken on global responsibility for the University’s trademark rights for consumer products.
Located in the heart of Cambridge, the company has a team with expertise in licensing, product development, retail, digital marketing, and product sourcing.
It has completed its digital transformation project, adopting digital platforms to support the scale up of the business. The company is profitable and is in a growth trajectory.
All of Curating Cambridge’s profits go to support the important research and community engagement of the University of Cambridge Museums, Botanic Garden and University Library.
Position Overview: An experienced and visionary individual is sought to chair the Curating Cambridge Board and help drive the company’s growth ambitions. Under the chair’s leadership, the board will work closely with the executive team, providing the necessary support and challenge to successfully identify and implement business strategies, work with critical internal and external customers, grow the financial value of the company, and enhance the reputation of the University of Cambridge and its collections.
- Strategic Leadership of the Board:
- Provide independent and objective leadership of the Board, ensuring that Curating Cambridge's strategies align with its objectives.
- Support and challenge the executive team, contributing to the development and execution of impactful business strategies.
- Oversee the formation and delivery of the company’s medium term business plan.
- Governance and Compliance:
- Uphold the highest standards of corporate governance, ensuring compliance with legal, regulatory, and ethical frameworks and promoting transparency, integrity, and accountability.
- Stakeholder Engagement:
- Foster positive relationships with Curating Cambridge’s diverse stakeholders, including the University of Cambridge leadership, customers, and partners.
- Act as a bridge between the Board, executive team, and external stakeholders, promoting effective communication and collaboration.
- Financial Oversight:
- Oversee the board’s review of financial performance including performance against plan and approval of the company’s statutory accounts.
- Ensure business decisions are rigorously reviewed to optimise returns and mitigate risks.
- Management of the Board:
- Review board composition for balance of expertise, diversity, representation, and skills.
- Facilitate constructive board discussions, encouraging active participation and diverse perspectives.
- Mentor and support fellow board members, promoting a culture of teamwork, respect, and mutual understanding.
- Innovation and Growth:
- Encourage innovation within Curating Cambridge, exploring new avenues in licensing, retail, wholesale, and e-commerce to expand revenue streams.
- Stay informed about industry trends and emerging technologies, advising on strategic initiatives to maintain Curating Cambridge's competitive edge.
Experience and Abilities:
- A deep understanding of commerce, preferably within a global context.
- Senior experience of operating with a reputable commercial board either as chair, non-executive director, or business leader.
- Senior experience in corporate governance, financial management, and strategic planning.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to convey complex ideas clearly and concisely.
- A commitment to upholding the values and reputation of the University of Cambridge and its collections.
- Evidence of sound independent judgment, diplomacy, and political astuteness.
- Candidates will have a strong personal profile, an impeccable reputation in their field and credibility with a wide range of stakeholders.
Curating Cambridge is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from individuals of all backgrounds and experiences.
To apply, please submit your resume and a statement to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining how your experience aligns with the role of Non-Executive Chair of Curating Cambridge Ltd.
Closing Date: February 16 2024